VP of Marketing & Growth
Location: Austin, TX
A competitive market-based compensation package will include a base salary, incentive plan, and equity participation.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the VP of Marketing & Growth will be a thought-leader in Spruce’s rapidly-growing organization, a member of the executive leadership team, and a key contributor to overall company strategy. The VP of Marketing & Growth will (i) optimize Spruce’s primary consumer customer acquisition channel (leveraging the relationship with properties), (ii) develop new customer acquisition channels, and (iii) establish and grow the Spruce Brand. Through its integration with property management software, Spruce has unique access to resident data that is rarely available to marketers.
Key responsibilities for the VP Marketing & Growth include:
- Customer (apartment resident) funnel. Continue to develop and refine a metrics-driven customer funnel, spanning awareness through retention. Drive consumer adoption within Spruce apartment communities by creating digital, physical, and channel marketing programs. Continually optimize for growth. Work with the product and engineering teams to make customer acquisition, revenue growth, and property success a key part of the product roadmap. Drive improvements in key customer metrics, including LTV/CAC, penetration rate, and retention. Optimize pricing.
- Data Intelligence. Instill a culture of metrics, fact-based decision-making, and accountability throughout the marketing and growth organization. Create, manage, and regularly present a dashboard to monitor progress on marketing and growth goals. Set benchmarks for company performance. Establish a rigorous A/B testing agenda to test and refine messaging, subject lines, CTAs, content, email cadence, etc. to constantly improve user KPIs. Redevelop major user flows with improvements to activation, retention, and frequency of use. Leverage and extend BI and MarTech tools, including Looker, Salesforce, Iterable, and HubSpot.
- Executive leadership. Participate and contribute to the development, execution and achievement of Spruce’s overall strategy. Participate in fund-raising activities.
- Ensure marketing and growth team’s alignment with marketing strategy and growth targets. Build, manage, lead, and scale the marketing and growth organization accordingly.
- Branding and awareness. Build the team that will own the Spruce brand and manage public relations and public-facing content.
- Work with counterparts in product and sales to deliver strong messaging, value propositions, and campaigns into different target audiences, industries, and geographies. Know Spruce’s customers, their pain points and their success stories, and translate these into improvements in content and campaigns.
- B2B (apartment property) marketing. Create B2B marketing programs that drive apartment properties to become inbound sales opportunities and self-signup partners.
The ideal candidate will have executive-level marketing and growth experience in a rapidly-growing venture-backed startup. B2C marketing experience is preferred, and B2B experience is a plus. Strong candidates will have successfully hired, managed, mentored, and scaled high-performing marketing and growth teams. Experience in an environment associated with continual data-driven experimentation and change is preferred. Online marketplace and/or consumer services experience is relevant but not required.
The VP of Marketing & Growth will be ready to “roll up his/her sleeves” and bring a hands-on player/coach perspective to guide the growth of the marketing and growth team. He/she will define success in terms of results and will have a strong sense of urgency and bias for action. Executives with an analytical, fact-based decision-making style will likely mesh well with the culture. The best candidates will balance an assertive, self-confident demeanor with an ability to work successfully across functional organizations. This individual will also possess the interpersonal and leadership skills needed to represent Spruce well to its partners, customers, investors, and influencer community.
An undergraduate degree is required. An MBA or advanced degree is a plus.